Programming and operating the 3D printing process using virtual reality
In an era of constant epidemic threat, the possibility of conducting the training process in the form of distance learning has gained exceptional importance. Based on the company’s extensive experience in the implementation of distance learning classes, using the granted funding, Syntea S.A. has prepared a unique training offer that eliminates the limitations of remote learning through the use of virtual reality technology and multi-channel video streaming.
The training offer is addressed to individuals and entities who, within the scope of their business activities, professional activities or future plans, recognize the need to raise competence and acquire skills in 3D printing.
Who is it for?
- Educational institutions providing education at all stages of formal and informal education.
- Educational entities supporting education.
- Training institutions.
- Labor market institutions.
- Foundations and associations, both state and private.
- Companies operating in industries using 3D printing, wishing to retrain their employees in 3D printing technology.
- Individuals interested in acquiring competencies and qualifications in 3D printing implementation.
Innovative lab for hands-on distance training!
We have created a specially equipped studio designed to implement 3D printing training. Two key elements are a set of high-resolution video recording cameras and a set of virtual reality goggles. These tools allow streaming video from several sources during remote classes, giving trainees a unique insight into the practical activities being carried out.
A system of cameras set up within the studio allows, during a training course implemented remotely, to transmit images from different angles, and thus to closely observe (from different camera shots) the activities carried out by the trainer.
A spherical camera positioned at an optimal point in the studio captures stereoscopic 360-degree video, which allows observation of the studio, equipment and trainer’s activities from the camera’s point of view, along with the ability to freely look around the environment from the camera’s point of position.
Virtual reality goggles
With the help of virtual reality goggles, the trainer operates a virtual 3D printing lab, allowing to simulate the same practical activities that are carried out when working with a 3D printing machine. The remote image for the trainees is streamed from the goggles to a computer screen, giving the trainees a first-person view of the printing operation process.
The ability to present hands-on activities during remote training has never before been realized in such a holistic way! The first-person view of the instructor and the ability to look around the studio give as complete an impression of being at the training site and working with the tools as is possible for a non-interactive medium.
The qualification, Programming and Operation of 3D Printing Process, is now 100% remotely obtainable.
The Coronavirus pandemic has accelerated the transformation of examination procedures related to the acquisition of qualifications under the Integrated Qualifications System. Today it is possible to remotely take the exam for the qualification: Programming and operating the 3D printing process (Qualification code in the ZRK: 12644). Due to this fact and the possibility of remote implementation of the training (including preservation of the practical aspects of the training), the entire process of acquiring learning outcomes and validation of 3D printing certification is possible without leaving home.
The training program assumes, among other things, the realization of all learning outcomes necessary for the acquisition of the market qualification Programming and operation of the 3D printing process:
- Types of 3D printing technologies.
- Construction and principle of operation of printers in selected technologies.
- Ways of obtaining models for printing.
- Selection of the optimal printing method.
- Preparation of 3D model for printing.
- Selection of printing parameters.
- Preparing the printer for operation.
- Monitoring the printing process.
- Finalizing the 3D printing process.
- Reverse engineering based on 3D scanning technology.
Additional competencies - reverse engineering
The training offered includes in the program elements on the application of reverse engineering in 3D modeling and preparing designs for printing. Thanks to 3D scanning technology and the use of a high-quality scanner for the purpose of the classes, we were able to expand the offer to include beyond the standard set of learning outcomes, exotic (and at the same time desirable on the labor market) competencies that open up completely new opportunities for trainees. Reverse engineering allows replicating, reworking and designing components that would be extremely difficult to model with traditional methods. This, on the other hand, makes it possible to drastically reduce the manufacturing time for such components.
Virtual lab, not just for remote classes
In the case of classroom training, participants will have the opportunity to explore the virtual environment on their own (under the supervision of a trainer) and practice the implementation of 3D printing in virtual reality. The 3D printing studio simulation gives trainees access to a virtualized 3D printer, different types of thermoplastic materials, print processing tools and much more! All objects are interactive and the user's movements are perfectly mapped, thanks to tracking using 6 degrees of freedom provided by the latest generation of virtual reality goggles. All this makes the experience of immersion in virtual reality absolutely unique. Simulation also provides the ability to speed up the printing process, which is objectively long when the actual printer is running (about 4h for a medium-sized model). This functionality makes it possible to realize multiple printing processes in virtual space, in the time it would take a real printer to realize the printing of a single object.
- Innovation – training implemented using a wide range of modern technologies and the highest quality equipment (VR, 8K/4K streaming).
- Attractiveness – translating into the involvement of participants in the training process.
- Safety – in the case of an epidemic threat, the entire training and validation process can be implemented remotely, allowing practical knowledge to be transferred in a safe, non-contact manner.
- Convenience – trainees in remote form can acquire competencies and qualifications, learning from the comfort of their home.
- Confirmation of qualifications – the opportunity to acquire qualifications 100% remotely.
- Efficiency – the use of a virtual laboratory will significantly increase the amount of time that individual trainees will spend working on the direct implementation of the print (significantly increased multiplication of practical exercises).
- Efficiency – thanks to the introduction of elements on reverse engineering into the program, trainees will be able to significantly optimize the process of preparing models for printing.